Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alert UK Natural suit

#1 User is offline   One Short 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-January-03, 02:35

Playing in a club game declarer opened 1NT (12-14) and his partner responded 3. This was alerted and passed by declarer. When asked at the end of the auction, declarer said it was their method of a weak take out and that they had been advised that it was alertable by a very experienced director.
I find it very strange that a natural bid of a 6-card suit should be alertable notwithstanding that the usual interpretation (at least around here) of playing the response of 3-minor is that of a game-force bid
What do we think?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-03, 03:25

Weak jump shifts after a suit opening are alertable in EBU so I would think they are alertable after a 1NT opening as well.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 03:50

The purpose of the alert system is to make sure that players are aware of their opponents' methods, in time for them to make use of the knowledge.

Without an alert, you would assume that 3 was strong. The alert ensures that you know what 3 means, when you need to know it. That is, the alert system appears to be working well. I don't find that strange.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 04:19

Generally Scotland is more relaxed than England about the strength of natural bids, for example, an opening two bid is not alerted whether it is a natural weak two or natural Strong Two. However weak jump shifts (in response to a suit opening bid) remain alertable and I believe that this OP sequence would also be alertable since it is an agreement showing unusual strength.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   Jeremy69A 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-09, 11:17

Generally Scotland is more relaxed than England about the strength of natural bids, for example, an opening two bid is not alerted whether it is a natural weak two or natural Strong Two.

Nor in England. We announce them.

#6 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-09, 12:58

View Postpaulg, on 2013-January-03, 04:19, said:

Generally Scotland is more relaxed than England about the strength of natural bids, for example, an opening two bid is not alerted whether it is a natural weak two or natural Strong Two.

View PostJeremy69A, on 2013-January-09, 11:17, said:

Nor in England. We announce them.

Precisely.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 02:39

Actually we announce them rather imprecisely.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 08:01

View PostOne Short, on 2013-January-03, 02:35, said:

Playing in a club game declarer opened 1NT (12-14) and his partner responded 3. This was alerted and passed by declarer. When asked at the end of the auction, declarer said it was their method of a weak take out and that they had been advised that it was alertable by a very experienced director.
I find it very strange that a natural bid of a 6-card suit should be alertable notwithstanding that the usual interpretation (at least around here) of playing the response of 3-minor is that of a game-force bid
What do we think?

Don't you want to be warned that the hand might belong to you, and this may be your last chance to get into the auction?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 08:25

View PostOne Short, on 2013-January-03, 02:35, said:

What do we think?

This part of "we" thinks that you should have asked about the meaning of 3, since it was alerted, rather than assume that it couldn't possibly show diamonds.

There may be a lot reasons why it was alertable. Some of them are that it didn't show diamonds, one is that it was weak and others could be that it did show diamonds, but also something else (e.g. weak with the red suits).

If they alert and you don't ask, you are the one to blame for not knowing.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users