Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

After the 1NT balance what's what

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-28, 11:16

Inspired by the 1NT overcall thread, I am asking about 1NT balance. I'm fourth hand, the auction begins:

1-Pass-Pass-1NT
X-XX

An undiscussed call. Pard meant it as a weak run-out, I thought it showed values, this did not end well (3X making). If it matters, after a penalty double of an opening NT, 1NT-(X)-XX, the redouble is a relay to clubs, to be passed or corrected to diamonds

We play the 1NT balance as around 11-14 when the opening is a minor, and up to 16 if the opening is a major. I realize that the broad range for 1-Pass-Pass-1NT causes some problems, but it also causes problems to start with a double if you are not prepared to play in the suit partner chooses at the two level when you lack the values for correcting to 2NT. Anyway, our balance is 11-14 over a minor, 11-16 over a major.

I can't say that we have really thought through the follow-ups, and here we got burned. It's true that if lho had passed my 1NT then 2 by partner would have been Stayman, presumably with some decent values. But we just never discussed what 2 is after the double. If 2 is still Stayman, I suppose XX could show clubs. A stretch for the memory.

Anyway, it's not a frequent situation so we have not really talked it through. Suggestions and or references are welcome.

PS I take the blame for the double on the current hand. I had a 15 count, a point heavy by our agreements, and I misunderstood partner's call, but letting sleeping dogs lie, or whatever the relevant cliche is, would have been wise.
But I want to discuss with pard what means what after the balance.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users