BBO Discussion Forums: Strength of 2 level overcalls - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strength of 2 level overcalls

Poll: Strength of 2 level overcalls (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should have bid more and when?

1. I was too strong for an overcall and should have doubled (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Partner was too strong for a simple raise and should have bid 2S (limit raise+ in hearts) (11 votes [78.57%])

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

3. I should bid over the 3H raise anyway (2 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. This kind of event is so rare it should be a hole in your system (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-24, 22:45

Pickup partnership with a good partner in my last club game. I think no one is to blame because we haven't played together before and so don't have a feel for this, but I'm wondering what "expert consensus" is, if there is such a thing here.

(Off topic - amusing anecdote - in the first round we had an auction go to 5N after a response to RKCB and hadn't discussed whether this was specific kings or number of kings. You'd think this was one of the last things we would've needed to discuss! (Not that it mattered because the trumps didn't split and even the small slam went down.))

I had (spots random):

AKQT3
AJ5
Q4

Partner had:
K74
AKT5

RHO dealt, all nonvulnerable, and the bidding went:

(1S) - 2H - (P) - 3H
(4D) - P - (4S) - P-P-P

I didn't double or bid because I thought partner might be sitting on just the club ace and 4 card support, and partner didn't because he thought I could have nothing outside hearts. It's worth noting that even if the opps hadn't bid over 3H, I probably would've passed and missed a cold game.

#2 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-September-24, 23:22

Your partner's hand has 10 HCP -- all primes -- 2 1/2 QTs and 4 trumps. Partner could raise to 3 with as little an AJ and 3 trumps. The hand is much too good for a simple raise and partner should bid 2 -- limit raise or better -- at the least. I could find some sympathy for your partner if opener had bid 1 instead of 1 . But even if that happened, I think the hand is still worth at least a limit raise.

I think 2 is entirely correct by your hand. If you double and responder raises spades, you'll then have to decide if you want to bid your suit at the 3 level with nothing known about pard's hand. That probably wouldn't be too bad if your hand was something like xx AKQ10xx AJx Qx. But holding only 5 cards in your suit, it's much riskier. There are ways to advise partner that you have some extras after an overcall.

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-25, 03:24

Partner can bid 2 or a direct (tactical) 4 but not 3 unless they are playing in a very traditional (old-fashioned) style. There is often a considerable difference between "expert consensus" and "normal club bidding" in this kind of auction.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-25, 06:08

Hi,

3H is invitational, if it showes inv. strength, or could be a little less,
depends, if you have an inv. raise av., it does not matter, I have a max, I
bid game.

Partner could and should bid 2S, but if this is a first time partnership, and
you are unsure, if 2S is what you believe it is, 3H is better.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users