• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A series of unfortunate events

#61 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-11, 16:59

I think double of 2NT ought to show a desire to compete, not a desire to defend. With that agreement, I could show a hand like KQxx xxx Axxx xx without committing us to the three-level. To me that seems far more useful than showing an extra queen in a hand with three-card support.

I'm not suggesting that this is what double actually means by default - just what it should mean.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#62 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-September-11, 17:13

sathyab, on 2012-September-11, 15:13, said:

So we're pushing ourselves to 3 opposite a partner who said he didn't have a full opener. Isn't the point of Drury not to get to the 3-level on such hands ? Partner may not even have five in third chair in which case we should consider defending.

If I have KQxx, then it is likely that partner has 5 unless he is extremely aggressive 3rd seat. I also agree that the point of Drury is to stay low when possible. That being said, it doesn't mean I am barred from competing with a hand type where competing is attractive. I would definitely compete with the example hand Phil gave, and since I am going to compete, I don't give them an opportunity to exchange information at the 3 level.
Chris Gibson

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users