BBO Discussion Forums: Do you go anti-field? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you go anti-field?

Poll: Do you go anti-field? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you do?

1. 4S is correct regardless .. the field is right on this one (22 votes [75.86%])

Percentage of vote: 75.86%

2. 4S - while I prefer dbl it's so close that sticking with the field is the winner (1 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

3. Dbl - superior enough that you should be going anti-field (6 votes [20.69%])

Percentage of vote: 20.69%

4. How about pass? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-17, 05:57

Game all, Matchpoints.

I know this room and the room is bidding 4. Double would not even occur to 90% of them. Nevertheless I feel that double might be superior enough to merit going anti-field. What do you think?

Thanks for your input.
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#2 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 06:27

I'm bidding 4.

As a general Matchpoints query, what's the advantage of going with the field, apart from a lack of stress? (that's a genuine question, I'm not very experienced and don't know the answer)

#3 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 06:40

I would bid 4.

Double has a number of ways to win.
Partner might pass for a juicy penalty.
We might get to a minor game or slam when 4 goes down.

Is this the hand for it?. It may well be, If P has something like

x
xxx
Qxxxx
AQxx

Problem is I dont want to miss 4 opposite

xxx
xxx
xx
AQxxx

4 feels like the % call.

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-17, 07:24

I reject double because it shoots for a top while risking a bottom.

After 4 the worst I can do is average. But I can still get ave+ in other ways. I might outplay the field, for example perhaps by endplaying west. Or maybe ops will bid over 4 and then I can double.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-May-17, 08:18

Double here is takeout implying decent spades right? Double doesn't seem so bad, though I guess partner won't play you for having 5 spades, but on the auction having 5 spades seems to be a decent possibility.

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-May-17, 08:21

Double is technically takeout, but it implies a willingness to defend. This hand is primarily offensive. Partner is unlikely to take it out to 4 on a great many hands where 4 is making.

So, call me a conformist, but I am bidding 4.

By the way, the thought that you are going to get rich in 4x is very optimistic.

#7 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 08:27

View Postbillw55, on 2012-May-17, 07:24, said:

After 4 the worst I can do is average. But I can still get ave+ in other ways. I might outplay the field, for example perhaps by endplaying west. Or maybe ops will bid over 4 and then I can double.

Is the implicit reason you want to go with the field on bidding then because you believe you are a better card player?

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-May-17, 08:30

View Postbillw55, on 2012-May-17, 07:24, said:

While I do not agree with these conclusions, I agree with the philosophy.

To the OP - why do you want to go 'anti-field'?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 08:45

View Postdkham, on 2012-May-17, 08:27, said:

Is the implicit reason you want to go with the field on bidding then because you believe you are a better card player?

Yes.

Also, if there are lots of other boards where you rate to beat the field through better bidding, why risk a bottom? Bridge is quite a high variance game and doing consistently well at MP is as much about lowering the variance as getting tops.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#10 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 08:52

Thank you all for the input.

View PostPhil, on 2012-May-17, 08:30, said:

To the OP - why do you want to go 'anti-field'?

I am not shooting for a 50% game :) Like you, I go against the field (in bidding or play) whenever I deem the chances of success outweigh the possibility of a poor score. When I have a 9 card fit missing for the Q I play for the drop like everyone else - However when there has been a 3S preempt I finesse even though in this particular field the old ladies are still playing for the drop.

Obviously it's a judgement call - on this hand I thought double was superior enough to 4S that it merited going against the field. Clearly many disagree - which is good, I need this feedback I'm trying to learn when I'm wrong about these things...
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 08:55

View Postjmcw, on 2012-May-17, 06:40, said:

Double has a number of ways to win.

Bidding 4 has even more ways to win: sacrifice, push or make.

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-May-17, 09:13

View Posthumilities, on 2012-May-17, 05:57, said:

I know this room and the room is bidding 4.

Is the whole room bidding 4H? We probably have just enough HCP to assume this is not a strong club pair, or a no-system pair against whom we might be walking into a buzzsaw.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#13 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 09:20

View Postdkham, on 2012-May-17, 08:27, said:

Perhaps. I must have confidence. If I feel I must take shots in the bidding to compensate poor card play, I will be in a tough spot on many hands, not just this one.

That said, except in special circumstances I would take the action I believe to be best, and not worry much about the field. I find they are notoriously hard to predict. OP seems confident that 4 is the field bid, but is every table facing the auction 1-4? How could we know?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#14 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-May-17, 10:18

View Posthumilities, on 2012-May-17, 08:52, said:

Like you, I go against the field (in bidding or play) whenever I deem the chances of success outweigh the possibility of a poor score.

I thought I started a thread five or six years ago about the concept of going anti-field when I you think its right. I called it the 'uncrowded lake" or something like that.

Can't find it :(
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-May-17, 11:15

The problem might be in knowing that the field will be wrong when we think something is right..and thus knowing we are going against them. So, it comes around to playing your game and letting the field come in behind you when the results are posted.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#16 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-May-17, 14:29

I never go down the route of worrying whether things are 'anti-field' or not. I think you should just do what you think is right (given matchpoint scoring) and not do what you think is wrong. The "field" is so random there's never any way to know what they are doing in the first place.

So on this hand, if you think double is right, double. If you think 4S is right, bid 4S.

#17 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 14:35

As a general Matchpoints query, what's the advantage of going with the field, apart from a lack of stress? (that's a genuine question, I'm not very experienced and don't know the answer)

The idea is that whatever edge you might have in close situations in bidding is lower than your cardplay edge.
For example if it goes:
1NT pass ?

and you have borderline hand between say invite and 3NT and you very fine judgement tells you it's better to bash game but most of the field is in 1/2NT then even if the game makes say 53% of the time you only collect 53% from the hand while being where the field is could allow you to score much more exploiting their weak defense.
In general I believe good players have bigger edge in cardplay than in bidding judgement so going "with the field" in such situations is quite important (assuming you can predict what the field does).

The "field" is so random there's never any way to know what they are doing in the first place.

That might well be true I admit. My argument is based on assumption that you can predict what fields does as OP seems to imply.

#18 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-May-17, 15:23

View Postdkham, on 2012-May-17, 06:27, said:

I'm bidding 4.

If you "go with the field", then a number of other pairs are very likely to have the exact, same score as you do on the board. As a result, your score on the board is likely to be somewhere near average. On an 8 MP top (average=4), the result would likely be somewhere between 2.5 MP and 5.5 MP. Neither result is likely to lose or win the session for you, but you are likely to remain competitive.

If you decide to go "against the field", then you know other pairs are going to be getting a different result. If your decision was right, then you're going to get a better score giving you a very good result on the board -- a near top or top. BUT if you are wrong, you're going to get a bad result -- a bottom or near bottom.

As you get more experienced as a matchpoint player, you'll find that playing above average on most of the boards and minimizing bad results (bottoms or near bottoms) is a route to some success. Since "going with the field" usually precludes you from getting a bottom or near bottom, it falls in line with this approach to doing well at matchpoints.

#19 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-May-17, 16:57

I'm a 4 bidder also.

Partner might find a minor suit game after a Dbl, but if 4 s also makes you're probably not getting many matchpoints.

If partner finds a 4 call, responder will be making the opening lead through your hand to opening bidder's hand. Undoubtedly, the lead will be a and probably a honor. If opener can let responder hold the lead, responder may find the killing shift (or, worse, be told if opener is able to show a suit preference on the opening lead). In any case, seeing your hand as dummy is likely help the defense more than seeing partner's hand.

If partner sits for the Dbl, then he probably holds enough cards for you to make game. That means you'll need to beat 4 x three to get a better result.

If 4 goes down you're likely to have company.

#20 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-May-17, 17:58

View PostArtK78, on 2012-May-17, 08:21, said:

Double is technically takeout, but it implies a willingness to defend. This hand is primarily offensive. Partner is unlikely to take it out to 4 on a great many hands where 4 is making.

So, call me a conformist, but I am bidding 4.

By the way, the thought that you are going to get rich in 4x is very optimistic.

It does not imply a willingness to defend to me. A takeout double is for takeout. am doubling.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users