• You cannot reply to this topic

speedball swiss on bbo

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-05, 17:14

http://webutil.bridg...tch.php?id=1045

just noticed this.

Play in BBO's new BBO Speedball (Swiss) tournament. Enjoy yourself and qualify for the biggest cash prizes we've ever given away.

Do well and win BB$ prizes. Increase your chances of winning the Super Prizes by entering more tourneys. There are 2 Grand Prizes ($500 each) and winners can ask for these to be paid out via check, paypal or BB$!

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 17:39

I see that the Tournament Details include that the "default cc" is the GIB 2/1. I presume that this is not the "required cc", since it also says that the ABCL GCC will be in use. So, playing with a GIB means that your partner will never understand the auction when the opponents open a strong club, etc?

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-05, 18:13

so this is playing against bots not 4 humans playing against 4 humans?

One human per table or what?

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-April-05, 18:16

You're the one who posted the link to the rules :rolleyes:

It's a pairs game, but playing with a GIB partner is optional.

#5 User is offline   nathan2008 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-06, 02:30

i am wondering why people play normal ACBL when ACBL swiss is open:)? In all cases ACBL Swiss is better than normal ACBL:).

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-06, 02:47

View Postnathan2008, on 2012-April-06, 02:30, said:

i am wondering why people play normal ACBL when ACBL swiss is open:)? In all cases ACBL Swiss is better than normal ACBL:).

These are BBO tourneys, not ACBL, and we're still testing them. They will be launched officially on Saturday, with the $5000 promo.

#7 User is offline   nathan2008 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-06, 02:58

oh ok... Now i understand better. But in all cases, i will play BBO speedball from TOMORROW and i am sure acbl speedball will lose players after BBO speedball:). Because before if i wanted to play pairs and win bbo masterpoints, the only choice was ACBL speedball, now I have another one (and better!)

#8 User is offline   nathan2008 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-06, 03:30

my first suggestion is that please tell us how to join this game in BBO news:). Because i always thought it was in ACBL masterpoints games, but it must be in BBO masterpoints games i assume. I don't use "all games" button because so many other games which i am not interested in. I only use specific button to play the game i want :).

#9 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-06, 05:08

I find it very disappointing that BBO is imposing the ACBL GCC on a non-ACBL event.

If I win with a robot, do I get BB$3.00 or just BB$1.50 and GIB gets to keep its BB$1.50?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-06, 08:12

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-06, 05:08, said:

I find it very disappointing that BBO is imposing the ACBL GCC on a non-ACBL event.

This was a difficult decision for us. We discussed being more liberal, or perhaps "GCC + Multi". But since we allow robot partners, we were worried about allowing too many things that would confuse them -- there's just no way that they'll do the right thing after someone opens a multi 2D.

We decided to start with something familiar, but we may open it up in time.

#11 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-April-06, 08:52

View Postbarmar, on 2012-April-06, 08:12, said:

This was a difficult decision for us. We discussed being more liberal, or perhaps "GCC + Multi". But since we allow robot partners, we were worried about allowing too many things that would confuse them -- there's just no way that they'll do the right thing after someone opens a multi 2D.

We decided to start with something familiar, but we may open it up in time.

Anyone who opens a multi 2 playing with a bot deserves the score they get :)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-06, 09:03

View Postjillybean, on 2012-April-06, 08:52, said:

Anyone who opens a multi 2 playing with a bot deserves the score they get :)

Duh!

Our concern is when you're playing with a bot and an OPPONENT opens multi. There's no way to tell the bot what it means, it will think they have a weak 2 and bid and defend accordingly.

Of course, there are other conventions that ARE allowed in GCC that would confuse the bots similarly. Mini-Roman, Flannery, Weak Jump Shift, Precision and other strong club systems, etc.

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-April-06, 09:12

View Postbarmar, on 2012-April-06, 09:03, said:

Duh!

Our concern is when you're playing with a bot and an OPPONENT opens multi. There's no way to tell the bot what it means, it will think they have a weak 2 and bid and defend accordingly.

Of course, there are other conventions that ARE allowed in GCC that would confuse the bots similarly. Mini-Roman, Flannery, Weak Jump Shift, Precision and other strong club systems, etc.

Exactly, Duh! Mini-Roman, Flannery, Weak Jump Shift, Precision and other strong club systems, etc but no Multi.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-06, 09:16

I've just brought this up with the rest of the staff, since we didn't realize this when we were discussing it earlier.

This is new for us, please allow for some growing pains.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-April-06, 10:23

We're going to stick with GCC initially. While part of the reason was concern over confusing robots, we also want to make the transition from ACBL speedballs easy for the players. We expect these tourneys to evolve as we get more participation and feedback.

#16 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2012-April-06, 11:55

The actual tourneys begin on Saturday, but there will also be free trial tourneys today, 3pm-8pm.

In the actual tourneys, if you do win with a robot, you get $1.50. Robots do not pay the tourney entry fee of $1 or whatever so they are normally ineligible for any prizes. Engaging the service of a robot partner is $0.25.

Re convention cards/systems:
You can use your own convention cards. For now, they have to be GCC. If you don't upload a CC, the default one is GIB 2/1.
As Barmar mentioned, we are experimenting. If the format is popular, I'm confident less restrictive tournaments will be created.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#17 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-06, 12:33

View PostRain, on 2012-April-06, 11:55, said:

In the actual tourneys, if you do win with a robot, you get $1.50. Robots do not pay the tourney entry fee of $1 or whatever so they are normally ineligible for any prizes. Engaging the service of a robot partner is $0.25.

So I'll need to land in the top 10% about 83% of the time to break even. That sounds even tougher than robot rebate. Why can't BBO create a format where I can break even by averaging 55% or so? Seems quite greedy to me.

(Oh, I could play with a human, I suppose. However, I'm not interested in studying the GCC to figure whether our system would be legal, and I know that my standard 1NT defense is not GCC-legal...)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#18 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-06, 18:04

what is alternating imps and mp's?

#19 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-April-06, 19:21

I think it's clear that players don't understand the concept of "default convention card". At the end of an auction:
Opp: We play DONT
Me: Your convention card says you play Cappelletti.
Opp: We didn't put that there.

#20 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-07, 04:21

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-April-06, 19:21, said:

I think it's clear that players don't understand the concept of "default convention card". At the end of an auction:
Opp: We play DONT
Me: Your convention card says you play Cappelletti.
Opp: We didn't put that there.

Yup I bet if I were willing to play these things I would get to call the director all the time - "if I had known his jump shift isn't strong I would have bid!"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users