BBO Discussion Forums: Standard American (Query) - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Standard American (Query)

#21 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-February-22, 13:03

View PostRunemPard, on 2012-February-22, 10:49, said:

You are in 3rd seat after 2 passes with the hand I showed above...both sides are vulnerable.

What would you bid?

Probably 1. 3NT is virtually certain if partner has, say,

K x x
Q J 10 x
10 x x x
K x

and possible if he has less.

I think that it's as likely our hand as the opponents', so I'm not inclined to use up our bidding room.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#22 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-February-22, 13:17

Lesh:

The last question by RunemPard (and my response) reminds me of something else: as your experience deepens and your skill improves, you'll find that a lot of your decisions will be improved if you imagine what sorts of hands the other three players could hold that are consistent with their bidding, and then asking yourself whether you should bid, pass, double, or redouble if those are their actual holdings.

This is not something about which you should concern yourself now: learn the basics of bidding and play and, as mentioned above, start playing as much as you can. But in the back of your mind you should tuck this idea of trying to imagine at least partner's possible holdings for his bidding. When you're ready, it will be a skill that will serve you well, and will immensely improve your bidding judgment.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#23 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-29, 13:29

View PostVampyr, on 2012-February-22, 05:48, said:

Is this a computer program?

Yes, and a very good one too, so don't listen to people who say it isn't when they don't know it. ;)

However, I'm afraid there may be some confusion here. The program uses "points" to mean HCP + one extra point for every card beyond the fourth in a suit.

When BunnyGo says he would open a hand with only 11 points and 6 clubs, I am pretty sure he means 11 HCP. A hand with 11 HCP and 6 clubs does have at least 13 LTPB-points.

So, the correct answer in the LTPB system is to pass.

As you advance you will discover that there are circumstances in which experienced players will open such a hand 3. However, at this point, I believe it would only confuse you to detail these circumstances. So you really should pass. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users