BBO Discussion Forums: Imp's vs Mp's - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Imp's vs Mp's General principles

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-January-10, 17:21

I've been reading about the differences between the 2 games and came up with some doubts:

- How good is it to play a part-score in an 'abnormal' denomination (NT vs a minor) because of the 10/20 points difference? Kelsey says it shouldn't be risked that much but some other places say it should.
- How much should one strive to reach a game? How much for a slam?
- What would you say is the difference in the choice of the opening lead in MP's vs IMP's?
- How would your strategy change if you were to play a Pairs by IMP's game compared to a team game?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-11, 05:28

View PostHanoi5, on 2012-January-10, 17:21, said:

I've been reading about the differences between the 2 games and came up with some doubts:

- How good is it to play a part-score in an 'abnormal' denomination (NT vs a minor) because of the 10/20 points difference? Kelsey says it shouldn't be risked that much but some other places say it should.

The answer to this is that it depends. 3NT is usually better than 5 of a minor because if 5m makes there is often some kind of a play for an overtrick in 3NT. On the other hand 4M will often score an extra trick over 3NT, especially if the hands are fairly minimum. Similar reasoning applies with 1NT versus 2m - yes if made exactly they are the same score but an overtrick for both gives the NTers 120 against 110. You have to be confident that 1NT will make though. Generally though, this is an area where you just need to be playing bridge - just be aware that you only go past 3NT with a minor fit when fairly confident that 6m will have some play or that 3NT will be bad.

- How much should one strive to reach a game? How much for a slam?

A good rule of thumb for game is >50%. Bid the obvious games but do not stretch for it, and especially do not stretch to invite. With slams you can afford to be very conservative, especially if you are a better card player than the rest of the field. 4M+2 or 3NT+3 often give above average scores even when slam is laydown. And any slam will usually be a good score except in strong fields so only try for a grand when very certain (90%+) that it will be successful.

- What would you say is the difference in the choice of the opening lead in MP's vs IMP's?

In IMPs you make the lead most likely to defeat the contract; at MPs you make the lead that on average will give the most tricks. In practise this means that it is often right to lead more passively at MPs. The classic case of this is leading against 3NT with a weakish 5 card suit and a 4 card suit - at IMPS the 5 card suit is often right whereas at MPs the 4 carder is often safer. Be warned though that the 5 card suit will be the "room" lead, so again if you are confident of outplaying the opps you might make this lead anyway.

- How would your strategy change if you were to play a Pairs by IMP's game compared to a team game?

I think there is very little difference in cross-IMP strategy against Teams. Just bid your games, aggressively when red, and make your contracts as safely as possible.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-11, 07:34

Not that I follow the following a lot, but

game bidding - should be more conservative at MPs, a 40% game is good at IMP,
but playing MP you loose 10% of the time.
I am not sure, how big your edge / loss is, if there are only
40% games and everybody except you bids them.

slam bidding - see game bidding, but Justin said, that even playing IMPs, chasing
slams is not necessarily a good idea.

opening leads - MP favors passive leads.
Passive leads by definition try to avoid giving tricks away.
This matters more playing MPs, than playing IMPs.

Making your contracts is usually better than going down.
So reaching reasonable contracts, will still be better, than reaching stupid ones.

I think trump contracts usually generate one trick more, than NT contracts, hence
major suit contacts are still to be prefered to NT contracts.
To get the same score in a minor contract you need to make +2 or +3 compared wih an
NT contract, so NT contracts will beat minor suit contracts, ... but only if they
make.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users