3NT by North, opening lead spade 10.

How do you proceed?
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#2 User is offline   cnszsun 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2011-November-14, 00:08

A long way to go, Maybe win first trick with Jack, then a heart to Q. If it wins, we may try a diamond to 10, otherwise we are in trouble.
Michael Sun

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-November-14, 03:51

It's one of those tricky 3NTs. Thought of ducking a club, but that wouldn't give me enough tricks, so I guess I'd play SJ and lead a heart back as well.

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-November-14, 04:14

Sorry please don't take this as a whine but as a friendly request, could you put declarer as South for future reference? Thanks.

It's a tricky contract. spade jack and low heart looks interesting.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-14, 04:47

J and heart looks like the normal line, but we might advance a diamond honnor before to get some read of the suit when we reach dummy later. I think Q at trick 2 is better.

#7 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-November-14, 19:21

You need to have friendly distributions to make this one, thus assume that everything works. Otherwise you dont make it - so there are 3 tricks in spades, Q is an entrance, which means that playing at trick 2 is not good - at best - it holds, but then you have no more entrances to A, and you effectively gave a spade trick for a heart trick.
I would start by a diamond honor, and if its allowed to hold - duck a club......but I am not sure it is such a great line. May be first ducking a club will give you a better line for diamonds (if clubs split you will only need one trick and if not then you need 2 tricks from diamonds).
Posted Image
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#8 User is offline   dave_w 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-November-14, 20:25

Win the J, Cash the [diamond King] (I'm very happy if they want to win this - so I assume it holds)
Then K. If the Club Queen, Jack or Ten falls then A and another club, otherwise duck a club.

I guess a Spade comes back - so I win my King. If I haven't already cashed the A then I do so now.

If I have 3 clubs, 2 spades, one heart and 1 diamond (with a stranded spade trick in dummy) then I think I'm going to make - I exit with the Q and hope that they have to give me a diamond or a heart trick on the return (and possibly an entry) or I might get lucky with a doubleton J.

If I only have 2 club tricks then:
If West has 4 clubs - I play East for being 3442 with the A and K, and play a small Heart to the Queen, cash the A and play A and another Heart (or equivalent line if he wins the Heart King earlier) losing 2 Hearts, 1 club, 1 Diamond and winning 3 spades, 2 clubs, 2 diamonds and 2 Hearts.

If East has 4 clubs then either East is 3244 or 3424: I don't like my chances with the former ... either way I lead the Q hoping for a doubleton Jack (or to cut communications).

This hand has got a little bit complex! How am I doing? (there are so many variants depending on who has what cards).

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-November-15, 04:33

Better than most I guess :)

#10 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-15, 05:15

This is a tough one, which probably does not have a correct line. It is also difficult to give a line because there are many variants depending on what will happen.

The trouble is of course that you may never reach dummy and if you do early you can not cash your A without establishing tricks for the defense.
However, I want to establish should opponents continue with s regardless.

I am inclined to win the in hand and play the 6 to the 9 unless East plays an honor to be covered.
My intention is to cash the A next and only if the K is still outstanding play the 8.

If I get cut off from dummy opponents will have to play minors now, which may be to declarer's advantage.
At some stage opponents may have to play a major to dummy.

If the K appeared on the first 2 rounds of I probably play next the Q from hand .
If that holds A and unless a honor appears a low next.

Rainer Herrmann

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users