• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

None left, partner?

#41 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-09, 16:51

View Postpran, on 2011-November-09, 08:11, said:

Quite true, except that what has already occurred is the possibility of an irregularity, not necessarily any irregularity as such.

That is a logical error. The irregularity -if one occurred- did already occur. The only thing is that we do not know yet whether it occurred. It did not possibly occur; it either did or it didn't. At the point of the question there is nothing to prevent anymore.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#42 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-November-10, 16:20

View PostTrinidad, on 2011-November-09, 16:51, said:

That is a logical error. The irregularity -if one occurred- did already occur. The only thing is that we do not know yet whether it occurred.

Schrödinger's revoke? :)

#43 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-10, 17:21

View PostTrinidad, on 2011-November-09, 16:51, said:

That is a logical error. The irregularity -if one occurred- did already occur. The only thing is that we do not know yet whether it occurred. It did not possibly occur; it either did or it didn't. At the point of the question there is nothing to prevent anymore.

Rik

Of course there is: Preventing the revoke from becoming established. (Resulting in an exposed card rather than an established revoke.)

#44 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2011-November-13, 23:56

Where does it say that "becoming established" is an irregularity?

#45 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-14, 00:19

If there's an irregularity involved in a revoke becoming established, it must be in the action that causes the revoke to become established. Since all those actions are legal, I can't see an irregularity in it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#46 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2011-November-14, 02:22

The closest that comes is 62A, "A player must correct his revoke if he becomes aware of the irregularity before it becomes established." But it's not an irregularity to fail to correct because you're unaware.

You violate 62A if partner asks, you find a card in the suit, but don't correct the revoke.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users