BBO Discussion Forums: Last round N-S and E-W leaders average 80%! - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Last round N-S and E-W leaders average 80%! Anyone recall anything higher?

#1 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-November-18, 21:19

In a Mitchell movement game of seven and a half tables, I printed the one-round-to-go leaders and discovered that the N-S leaders and the E-W leaders were meeting in the final round. The sum of their scores so far was 159.49%, the E-W pair leading with over 82%!

The E-W pair took two boards out of the final three to finish at 79.76%, winning E-W by >16%, and dropping the N-S pair to 71.18%, winning N-S by >18%! Only six out of 15 pairs finished above average.
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

#2 User is offline   brian_m 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-19, 02:18

View PostMcBruce, on 2011-November-18, 21:19, said:

In a Mitchell movement game of seven and a half tables, I printed the one-round-to-go leaders and discovered that the N-S leaders and the E-W leaders were meeting in the final round. The sum of their scores so far was 159.49%, the E-W pair leading with over 82%!

The E-W pair took two boards out of the final three to finish at 79.76%, winning E-W by >16%, and dropping the N-S pair to 71.18%, winning N-S by >18%! Only six out of 15 pairs finished above average.

No, but I can make a good try for the other end of the scale. I remember scoring up a Mitchell at St. Albans BC (in the UK) in the early 80s, it would probably have been around eight or nine tables, and the winning pair in one direction (I forget which) had a score of less than 53%. The lowest pair seated that direction had 47%. Scoring was by hand in those days, of course, and I spent a LOT of time double-checking those scores!

P.S. And the scores in the other direction showed a normal spread. That made it even more surprising.

This post has been edited by brian_m: 2011-November-19, 02:22

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-19, 03:28

3 sillies I've been involved with.

A very random 24 board 7 team multiple teams which we won with only +21 IMPs.

An evening where 71% was only good enough for 3rd.

A qualifying event where we played 24 boards before tea at 42% and needed to get into the top sixth of the field to qualify with only 16 boards to go. Warp drive was engaged, and we proceeded to have one average and 15 70%+ boards for an 84% set and qualification.

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-November-19, 07:47

I can add one remarkable result to this discussion along the lines of Cyberyeti's post.

Some years back, my partner and I were playing in a Regional Flight A pairs - two sessions, playthrough. With two rounds (4 boards) to go in the afternoon session, we were below average. We scored about 90% of the matchpoints in those two rounds to get back to about a board above average.

During the dinner break, a list was posted with the top 60 scores in the event after the first session. We did not make the list.

That night, we scored 71% to win the event by over a board.

#5 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-19, 12:29

Last week my partner and I won the weekly club night with a 79.76% score. The N/S pair in 1st had 56.75%. I thought that was unusual until I read this thread :)

#6 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-19, 22:42

I recall coming a trick short of sinking the other five pairs below average, while going from last place to first in the final shared-board round of a 3-table Howell...
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-20, 21:55

View PostMcBruce, on 2011-November-18, 21:19, said:

In a Mitchell movement game of seven and a half tables.

LOL
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users