BBO Discussion Forums: A common mistake - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A common mistake What to bid in 2nd seat with 20 HCP, balanced?

#1 User is offline   mck4711 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diving, Climbing, and again - Bridge

Posted 2011-September-07, 07:46

SAYC

You have
K7
KQ987
AKJ
AT8

I have experienced it now several times that people bid in 2nd seat with this kind of hand (20 HCP, balanced) after 1x opening of RHO with 2NT.
This is NOT according to standards. Not SAYC, not Forum-D Plus, and I assume also SEF (but I am not sure). Of course you may have a special agreement with your partner, but this is up to partnership agreement. It seems that people get confused with the 1NT-bid that shows in 2nd seat a balanced hand (16-18 HCP).

Why is it wrong?
And what should I bid instead?

According to standard (SAYC, Forum-D Plus) 2NT in 2nd seat is Unusual NT, and it shows a 2-suiter, ie the 2 lower unbid suits. Meaning if RHO opens 1M then 2NT shows and , and if RHO opens 1m then 2NT shows the other minor and .

And what to bid?
X. At first sight this seems to be a "normal" take-out double, but with your next bid you show your strength, usually 17+ HCP. Depending on the bidding of LHO, pard, and RHO you bid accordingly.
Eg:
1 - X - p - 1
p - 1NT, this NT-bid shows now 19-20 HCP, balanced, stopper in RHO-suit, or
p - 2, this -bid shows now 17+ HCP, 5+ cards in .

#2 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 09:12

Double then bid NT shows a strong hand too good for an immediate NT overcall so 18+ - 20 is about right
Double then call a new suit usually about 17+
Double then Cue is F1 is 18+ implying a fit, or a very strong hand with a good trick source.

Here Double is clear. Your 2nd call very much depends on what happens over the X.

#3 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2011-September-07, 10:44

What jmcw said. I would double, planning on rebidding 1NT over any 1 level response except 1H. Anyone who bids 2NT directly with such a hand is indeed playing a very nonstandard treatment.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#4 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-07, 10:47

View Postdaveharty, on 2011-September-07, 10:44, said:

What jmcw said. I would double, planning on rebidding 1NT over any 1 level response except 1H. Anyone who bids 2NT directly with such a hand is indeed playing a very nonstandard treatment.

This.

Although, a quick amusing story. My grandfather used to be an excellent player, but later in life his memory (especially for bidding) wasn't there. He did bid 2NT on a hand like this, and I didn't give up on it not being "unusual" until we were in 4NT.

Every other table stopped in 3NT -1. Grandpa made 4NT, showing he could still play cards.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users