• You cannot reply to this topic

Another "impossible bid" ACBL, but shouldn't matter

#1 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-05, 12:40

Information:
- two-way Stayman and no transfers after 1NT. 4 explicitly doesn't exist.
- Jacoby/Texas transfers after (20-21) 2NT
- Partner forgot/didn't realize was on card Texas after 2NT-4 last week.
- No Gerber Ever, but splinters after 1M.

Without screens, so 1NT was announced, 12-14.
Your call?

If you do bid 4, what happens when the TD is called?

What would count as UI from 4 bidder that would convince you that opener is under any constraints?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-July-05, 12:55

View Postmycroft, on 2011-July-05, 12:40, said:

Information:
- two-way Stayman and no transfers after 1NT. 4 explicitly doesn't exist.
- Jacoby/Texas transfers after (20-21) 2NT
- Partner forgot/didn't realize was on card Texas after 2NT-4 last week.
- No Gerber Ever, but splinters after 1M.
Without screens, so 1NT was announced, 12-14.

I hope I gave some of this information when asked about 4 (more than "doesn't exist").

Your call?

4 looks OK

At the end of the hand, the TD asks partner what was 4 and what partner thought the partnership agreement (if any) was. If partner thought 4 was Texas then the TD might find that your agreement/understanding was Texas and rule that opener's uncertainty was misinformation but opponents are unlikely to be damaged.

What would count as UI from 4 bidder that would convince you that opener is under any constraints?

Obviously all the usual suspects would count as UI (tempo, remarks, gestures) but it is difficult to know what would be suggest by unspecific UI to someone who thinks the bid does not exist.

Obviously remarks such as "we agreed 4 Texas partner" would suggest 4 and would put opener under some constraint.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-05, 12:57

Maybe an "oops" by the 4 bidder would count as UI. Otherwise I think opener is free to guess that responder was using Texas, or that he was kicking back for clubs, or that he had a lot of diamonds, or whatever he wants to guess.

If I bid 4H, without having received any extraneous information from partner's manner, and the Director is called for some reason not explained in the OP, I will sit there and listen to him, answer questions he might ask, and proceed with life.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-05, 14:37

You might consider including, in your explanation of 4, that the bid is anti-system in this case, but that you play Texas over 2NT openings, and last week, partner opened 2NT, you bid 4, and partner forgot that it was Texas. Particularly if you're going to bid 4.

Agree with Agua about what happens when the TD is called.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-July-05, 18:36

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-July-05, 14:37, said:

You might consider including, in your explanation of 4, that the bid is anti-system in this case, but that you play Texas over 2NT openings, and last week, partner opened 2NT, you bid 4, and partner forgot that it was Texas. Particularly if you're going to bid 4.

• When this happens, I say "No agreement but I'll speculate if you want" :)
  • But directors tell me that I'm breaking the rules: "If you don't know or are unsure, then you must not offer to speculate" :(

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-July-05, 18:43

View Postnige1, on 2011-July-05, 18:36, said:

• But directors tell me that I'm breaking the rules: "If you don't know or are unsure, then you must not offer to speculate" :(

Maybe it is breaking the rules, but since partner is not allowed to use your speculation, I believe it is an honest attempt at disclosure and applaud the try.

Apparently you were asked a question, or you would not have done that.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-05, 18:45

View Postnige1, on 2011-July-05, 18:36, said:

From Proprieties Law 75 C:

When explaining the significance of partner's call or play in reply to an opponent's inquiry (see Law 20), a player shall disclose all special information conveyed to him through partnership agreement or partnership experience, but he need not disclose inferences drawn from his general knowledge and experience.

So in particular, I think you are SUPPOSED to speculate if you have some experience reason to believe partner has something in mind.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#8 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-06, 04:10

I'm not sure of the legal basis for it, but when this sort of situation has come up for me as a player I respond "it's undiscussed, but if we get the director over he might consent to partner leaving the table so I can elaborate on related agreements without giving too much UI away".
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-06, 14:16

What UI do you give by relating agreements?

Speculate is "I think it means this". That's neither required or allowed, especially if you get it wrong. That's the "what are you taking it as" answer.
Detailing the agreements so that the opponents can guess as well as you can is required. See the related agreements and experience I detailed in the OP. There is no speculation, just agreements.

I've seen "send partner away so I can explain our agreements that my partner has forgotten, and so can't explain my call herself" - that's different.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-July-06, 19:26

View Postmycroft, on 2011-July-06, 14:16, said:

What UI do you give by relating agreements? Speculate is "I think it means this". That's neither required or allowed, especially if you get it wrong. That's the "what are you taking it as" answer. Detailing the agreements so that the opponents can guess as well as you can is required. See the related agreements and experience I detailed in the OP. There is no speculation, just agreements. I've seen "send partner away so I can explain our agreements that my partner has forgotten, and so can't explain my call herself" - that's different.
Although unsure about the meaning of a call, you may have a fair idea of what it's likely to mean. The practical problem with mycroft's suggestion is that in real-time, it can be hard to summarise and explain the related agreements, experience, and gut-feelings, that you use to reach your tentative conclusion. Also, if revealing your final conclusion is regarded as taboo, then there is no guarantee that opponents will be much the wiser.

View Postmrdct, on 2011-July-06, 04:10, said:

I'm not sure of the legal basis for it, but when this sort of situation has come up for me as a player I respond "it's undiscussed, but if we get the director over he might consent to partner leaving the table so I can elaborate on related agreements without giving too much UI away".
Even better, the director can ask you to leave the table and ask partner to explain the systemic agreements related to his own call. I'm told that this protocol is common in Australia. It seems an excellent idea and should be explicitly recommended in the law-book.

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-06, 21:05

I would thaink the simple act of sending the 4 bidder away from the table would transmit UI unless he's not allowed to take his brain with him.

I REALLY like the Australian approach.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-July-06, 21:08

View Postggwhiz, on 2011-July-06, 21:05, said:

I would think the simple act of sending the 4 bidder away from the table would transmit UI unless he's not allowed to take his brain with him.

I REALLY like the Australian approach.

Why would the 4 bidder receive UI if he is sent away from the table, but not if partner is sent away from the table?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-06, 21:19

View PostVampyr, on 2011-July-06, 21:08, said:

Why would the 4 bidder receive UI if he is sent away from the table, but not if partner is sent away from the table?

No more UI than he already has from the mere fact that partner isn't describing the meaning of 4 confidently and accurately.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-July-06, 21:39

View Postmrdct, on 2011-July-06, 21:19, said:

No more UI than he already has from the mere fact that partner isn't describing the meaning of 4 confidently and accurately.

Well, quite.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-July-07, 12:14

View Postnige1, on 2011-July-06, 19:26, said:

Even better, the director can ask you to leave the table and ask partner to explain the systemic agreements related to his own call. I'm told that this protocol is common in Australia. It seems an excellent idea and should be explicitly recommended in the law-book.

It is also common in England.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users