BBO Discussion Forums: "Standard" Systems for Major Tournaments - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Standard" Systems for Major Tournaments Using computers to alert, define bids, and time players

#81 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-27, 13:33

View Postchudecek, on 2011-May-23, 08:30, said:

Have you ever filled out a "Pick-a-dot" product marketing survey? What kind of computer programming Einsteins (make that Yangs :) ) does it take to produce that?

If a couple of decent programmers couldn't come up with a suitable program for this in a week, they should change careers, and take up grease trap cleaning at Mickey D's.

As someone who works as a professional programmer, I agree with the poster who indicated that you do not understand the complexity of the task. The supporting software for thise surveys you describe was probably developed over months, not a week. Once developed, the survey itself is just data to the supporting software.

Something that a couple of decent programmers could come up with in a week would hardly fulfill what you envision.

And at what level do you expect these program to be used? I have gone to far too many tournaments where the boards are duplicated by hand (inlcuding many, if not all events in the NABC). Even if only used in such events as the team trials, you would presumably need a notebook or laptop computer for each active participant, plus a server. For 16 teams, we are talking about 65 computers that the sponsering organization would be expected to provide. And that is a relatively small event. For the Vanderbilt, I would expect that 257 would be required. And even a small notebook would take up space on the table. We might need bigger tables to play at. How is this going to work? Are the participants going to use this program instead of a bidding box? Or will we need an observer to enter the bids as they take place? With the former, I can see issues when someone misclicks, which I would expect to happen a lot, since this is only being used at major tournaments and the participants will not be used to this. And I cannot wait until there is a computer crash duting the middle of one of these major tournaments.

#82 User is offline   wickedbid1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-June-05, 17:59

[quote name='chudecek' timestamp='1306007737' post='548066']
This is similar to what I am trying to accomplish with my "System Card", except my proposal provides an explanation of each call as it is made; and further provides that methods used be approved, because the meaning of bids after the opening currently constitutes FAR MORE UNDISCLOSED INFORMATION AND UNAPPROVED METHODS THAN DOES A BASIC COMPLEX SYSTEM.

/quote]

Does a BASIC COMPLEX SYSTEM reliably get one to THIN FAT CONTRACTS? If so, sign me up :)

#83 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-06, 20:51

View Postchudecek, on 2011-May-20, 18:57, said:

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-May-20, 18:39, said:

1-1-1NT-2 (uncontested) is (a) Natural, NF (b) Checkback © Two-way checkback (d) part of a game-forcing precision auction

2C "no special agreements" in the auction 1C-1S-1NT-2C means a good raise in spades at the given vulnerability conditions. Usually it means an unwillingness to defend 1NT doubled or undoubled at the given vulnerability. An example hand vul vs non would be QJ9x KTx AJTx xx.

Carl: I think you either missed or misunderstood the word "uncontested" in this question.

#84 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-07, 05:27

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-June-06, 20:51, said:

Carl: I think you either missed or misunderstood the word "uncontested" in this question.

Yes... but the bit you quoted brings up something that at least I had completely missed earlier:

2C "no special agreements" in the auction 1C-1S-1NT-2C means a good raise in spades at the given vulnerability conditions. Usually it means an unwillingness to defend 1NT doubled or undoubled at the given vulnerability. An example hand vul vs non would be QJ9x KTx AJTx xx.

Interesting definition of "no special agreements".
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users