• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1C - 1D - 1H - 1S! always GF

#1 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-23, 14:57

1 is either real or artificial.... and always GF.

This is my reasoning ( correct me if I'm wrong ):

If Responder has 4 ( or more ) AND a 4 card Major
( either or or both ), he will bid:
- - 1D first with opening values himself ( ie GF ) or
- - otherwise will bid 1-Major first with less than GF values, even with longer

Then, if the auction continues: 1C - 1D - 1H - 1S! , it follows that Responder's 1! is either :
- - natural ( and GF )
- - or artificial ( and GF )

with the spade holding and strength to be sorted out on the next rounds of bidding .

The point is that after the 1 rebid by Responder,
Opener just makes his most descriptive bid
-- NO NEED to JUMP....since you are in a GF.

[ I can show some follow-ups later if there is an interest ] .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

One reason to NOT use the following ( somewhat ) popular 2S!-jump as an artificial GF: 1C - 1D - 1H - 2S! jump ( which specifically denies 4 cards )
is that if Responder's real intent was to show a GF with support, he may not be able to show his support until the 4-level ! !
The 2S!-jump just takes up too much valuable space when looking for the best strain below 3NT.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#2 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-April-23, 15:16

Some bid suits up-the-line.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-23, 16:37

Cascade, on 2011-April-23, 15:16, said:

Some bid suits up-the-line.

Bidding "up-the-line" is for folks "who still bid like ... Auntie Gladys " .

The treatment I use for Responder's first bid is not novel .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-23, 16:48

I play that 1 here is a natural 1 round force and 2 is the artificial game force but denies 4 spades.

Since I had already bid 1 instead of 1 on most little hands (except for REALLY bad spades) this one is a 90% game force too in practice.

I don't see anything wrong with getting the spade length defined when the 1 spade bid as natural promises at least 5 diamonds, usually 6.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-April-24, 04:28

TWO4BRIDGE, on 2011-April-23, 14:57, said:

Then, if the auction continues: 1C - 1D - 1H - 1S! , it follows that Responder's 1! is either :
- - natural ( and GF )

with the spade holding and strength to be sorted out on the next rounds of bidding .

One reason to NOT use the following ( somewhat ) popular 2S!-jump as an artificial GF: 1C - 1D - 1H - 2S! jump ( which specifically denies 4 cards )
is that if Responder's real intent was to show a GF with support, he may not be able to show his support until the 4-level ! !
The 2S!-jump just takes up too much valuable space when looking for the best strain below 3NT.

For the similar reasons you stated, i made a topic in the past about this very same auction. My proposal was to use 1 as GF and relay that asks and scans openers hand.For slam/gslam hands. This will be fairly easy especially opener's 1M bid warranths an unbalanced hand. This also allows responder to use picture bids with all other bids which can be defined by pdship agreements.

Also;

1--1
1--2

Imo this must be a GF raise, since responder would start with 1 if he had less than GF values. And no need for 4th suit or xyz 2 relay first toset the major trump. The counter argument could be that this shows 4 small + 6 and wanted to start with 1, however the frequency will be very rare and the benefits of using other way outweighs this hand. If playing XYZ, it covers that type of 6-4 hands anyway, unless opener rebids his suit.

Same goes for

1--1
1--2

You can use relays after this, ask/show stiffs, voids, number of controls, key cards or whatever of your choice, since you just skipped all the headache bids like 4th suit or xyz to just show a fit and a GF hand and you are only at 2 level (with xyz u are most likely will show at 3 level, and with 4th suit forcing if opener rebids 1 u will still show it at 3 level. You can use 3 by responder as game invitations (or vice versa 2 inv and 3 GF+) IF u are not using XYZ which actually covers invitation hands. If you use XYZ, then you now also have space for some very specific picture hands with support.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-24, 08:06

MrAce, on 2011-April-24, 04:28, said:

For the similar reasons you stated, i made a topic in the past about this very same auction. My proposal was to use 1 as GF and relay that asks and scans openers hand.For slam/gslam hands. This will be fairly easy especially opener's 1M bid warranths an unbalanced hand. This also allows responder to use picture bids with all other bids which can be defined by pdship agreements.

Also;

1--1
1--2

Imo this must be a GF raise, since responder would start with 1 if he had less than GF values. And no need for 4th suit or xyz 2 relay first toset the major trump. The counter argument could be that this shows 4 small + 6 and wanted to start with 1, however the frequency will be very rare and the benefits of using other way outweighs this hand. If playing XYZ, it covers that type of 6-4 hands anyway, unless opener rebids his suit.

Same goes for

1--1
1--2

You can use relays after this, ask/show stiffs, voids, number of controls, key cards or whatever of your choice, since you just skipped all the headache bids like 4th suit or xyz to just show a fit and a GF hand and you are only at 2 level (with xyz u are most likely will show at 3 level, and with 4th suit forcing if opener rebids 1 u will still show it at 3 level. You can use 3 by responder as game invitations (or vice versa 2 inv and 3 GF+) IF u are not using XYZ which actually covers invitation hands. If you use XYZ, then you now also have space for some very specific picture hands with support.

Very interesting.
I'd be interested in looking at your past thread ( ... sorry I missed it ).

And, I agree with you, and I wish I had thought about the following auctions being GF :
1 - 1
1M - 2M!
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-April-24, 08:12

TWO4BRIDGE, on 2011-April-23, 16:37, said:

I hope Auntie Gladys whips your ass.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#8 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-April-24, 08:21

- - natural ( and GF )

Yes, if you decided to play 4th suit forcing, you need to agree on this sequence with your partner.
Bob Herreman

#9 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-April-24, 12:14

TWO4BRIDGE, on 2011-April-23, 16:37, said:

It is not universal either.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-24, 12:39

If we play Walsh we can't have a spade fit here unless responder has GF (or at least invitational, depending on style) values. So under those conditions, I agree with TWO4Bridge.

If we do not play Walsh, opener's hand is quite ill-described so having the space consuming 2 bid as the only forcing bid for hands without four spades strikes me as unplayable.

In the Netherlands some play 1 as either natural (6+ points) or FSF. I don't think that is playable. Opener would have to rebid 3 with a 15-16 4414 or 4405, and if responder then has a hand that wants to play a minor suit slam it becomes awkward.

So I think that if you play strict up-the-line you have to play XYZ. Alternatively, play 1NT, 2 and 2 at responder's second turn as natural limit bid which also promise four spades, and let all the hands without four spades go through 1 which becomes a lightweight FSF.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-April-24, 14:18

- - natural ( and GF )

fwiw I play Walsh and XYZ and for me this shows 5d and 4s and gf. With 4d and 4s and gf or less I would start with 1s. So 1s here is always natural and never artificial. btw opener has shown 5c and 4h.

With xyz:

1c=1d=1h=2d becomes art and gf/cb.

1c=1d=1h=2c forces 2d and then pass or invite.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-April-25, 00:06

Very interesting.
I'd be interested in looking at your past thread ( ... sorry I missed it ).

And, I agree with you, and I wish I had thought about the following auctions being GF :
1 - 1
1M - 2M!

Here is how it goes the way i set it;

1-1
1(5-4)-1(GF relay)
1NT= 2425 or 1435 or 3415 or 0445 or 4405 minimum and max hands, 2 relay asks and opener goes thru 2 to start telling these hands for min (11-14), goes thru 2 for max (16-17) 15 hcps can be up or downgraded. Responder relays..
2= 6-4 and 6-5 hands minimum, 2 relay asks, 2=2416 2=1426 2NT=3406 3=0436 3=1516 3=2506 =0526
2= just like above for maximum 2 asks and all steps ends b4 or at 3 nt level.
2=7-4 hands, 2 asks, 2 NT 1417 3=2407 3=0427
2=1507
2NT=0517

etc etc You may have to discuss with pd which bid asks rkcb or controls and from which suit. It is pretty easy when u have an agreement but can be a total mess if u dont. Some may argue that this auction doesnt come up very often, which i agree. However when pd opens 1 and u have a lot of hcps and balanced hand,u dont have to wait to hold 4 and u can always start 1, even with a 5 or 6 card major, why bother to show it when u can ask and scan your pd's entire shape and strength and then decide what to play ?

It is important to not get into more relays when not interested in slam. No need to give info to opps for just game hands

Do i sound like i love artificial systems ? :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-25, 06:57

Thx, MrAce ...
You and Zelandakh are made for each other as partners ... :)
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE

#14 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-26, 08:14

One important follow-up ( as proposed by the National champion who suggested using the 1!  4th suit GF sequence in the first place instead of the 2-jump):
1 - 1
1 - 1!
2* - ?? If Responder now bids ANYTHING OTHER than 3, then the 1! bid was artificial!

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-26, 09:04

mike777, on 2011-April-24, 14:18, said:

fwiw I play Walsh and XYZ and for me this shows 5d and 4s and gf. With 4d and 4s and gf or less I would start with 1s. So 1s here is always natural and never artificial. btw opener has shown 5c and 4h.

Does that mean opener, with 4-4-1-4 and about 17 would have rebid 1S, not 1H? True, in Walsh style, the 1M rebid promises an unbalanced hand, but it would seem more space-conserving to have 1S rebid by opener guarantee 4-5+in the blacks, and for 1H to be either longer clubs or 4-4-1-4.

Then, if responder had 4-5 in her two suits (spades and diamonds) and G.F., she can rebid the cheap 1S; and no further gadgets would be necessary ---just natural establishment of strain at the two-level and peaceful exploration for slam.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#16 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-April-26, 11:07

aguahombre, on 2011-April-26, 09:04, said:

Does that mean opener, with 4-4-1-4 and about 17 would have rebid 1S, not 1H? True, in Walsh style, the 1M rebid promises an unbalanced hand, but it would seem more space-conserving to have 1S rebid by opener guarantee 4-5+in the blacks, and for 1H to be either longer clubs or 4-4-1-4.

Then, if responder had 4-5 in her two suits (spades and diamonds) and G.F., she can rebid the cheap 1S; and no further gadgets would be necessary ---just natural establishment of strain at the two-level and peaceful exploration for slam.

ya opener with 4=4=1=4 and 17 in first or second seat we need to open 1c and over 1d either rebid 1h or rebid 2nt which is exactly 17 for us. In third or 4th seat our options are open 1nt `15-17 or 1c and then 1h over 1d.

My guess is we will rebid 2nt with 17 often in first and second seat.

#17 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-April-26, 12:20

So, what would you do with:

J32
AK432
K92

After 1-1-1-?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#18 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-April-26, 12:35

Hanoi5, on 2011-April-26, 12:20, said:

J32
AK432
K92

After 1-1-1-?

I'd probably bid 3C and hope for the best. Partner will have 5 clubs unless he's 4414. 2H might be reasonable at matchpoints.

Edit: Sorry I didn't read the thread and see that people are saying 2H would be a GF heart raise. I don't agree with that, I think it should just be a 3 card raise. 2H seems like a sensible bid to me with xxx KQx Axxxx xx, we are too strong to pass and I'd rather partner play 2H than me playing 1N, and if partner is strong enough to bid again and we can get to 3N, it might be a disaster for me to have bid it first.

Surely there are enough other bids for a GF heart raise that 2H doesn't need to show that.

#19 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-April-26, 13:07

Hanoi5, on 2011-April-26, 12:20, said:

J32
AK432
K92

After 1-1-1-?

I think my options are:
1nt(up to 11 hcp)

2c(xyz) then 2h(invite)Note only showing 3h. I cant have 4h playing Walsh(gf)

2c(xyz) then 3c(invite)

3c(weakish)

I think I would pick 2c xyz forcing 2d then 2h(invitational). Note only showing 3h, I cannot have 4h on this auction.

#20 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-April-26, 14:35

Before I started playing transfer responses, we used to play

1C - 1D
1H - 2S

as specifically a 3-card club raise, invitational or better. This is handy opposite the possible 4414 shape, and also simplified the FSF auctions.

p.s. if you are playing 1S as FSF (which I used to do) I don't see the need to play it as game forcing. You seem to leave responder with an unbiddable hand when he is, say, 3352 without a spade stop.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users