BBO Discussion Forums: 3 level preempts over 1C or 1D - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 level preempts over 1C or 1D any advice?

#1 User is offline   Zoe171 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-May-12, 17:34

I would be interested to know how to handle 3 level preempts by opps in 2nd seat (who usually have 6 bad cards in their suit). Does opener just aggressively reopen with a X without perfect shape (after partner passes) then scramble? We run into this problem of partner wanting to X for penalty but cannot due to system agreements.

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-May-13, 02:11

A long time ago I read a simple rule that can help you a lot. The rule is: opener bids like he has 7HCP less, responder bids like he has 7HCP more, and both bid like the overcaller opened. Suppose opener has 18HCP and responder has 6HCP. Opener will bid like he has 11HCP, and responder will bid like he has 13HCP. If responder has good shape, he'll just Dbl for takeout. If he has a penalty pass, he'll just pass. Responder with his 11HCP and perfect shape can reopen light.

It's simple and it works ok. No need to reinvent complicated rules after preempts if you already have such a system.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   Zoe171 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-May-14, 13:35

View PostFree, on 2011-May-13, 02:11, said:

A long time ago I read a simple rule that can help you a lot. The rule is: opener bids like he has 7HCP less, responder bids like he has 7HCP more, and both bid like the overcaller opened. Suppose opener has 18HCP and responder has 6HCP. Opener will bid like he has 11HCP, and responder will bid like he has 13HCP. If responder has good shape, he'll just Dbl for takeout. If he has a penalty pass, he'll just pass. Responder with his 11HCP and perfect shape can reopen light.

It's simple and it works ok. No need to reinvent complicated rules after preempts if you already have such a system.

#4 User is offline   Zoe171 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-May-14, 13:38

Thank you for that. I had a feeling that we should just reopen with a double freely even with the wrong shape when partner passes with a stack in the preempt suit, but partner needs to know we might be in scramble I guess.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users