Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does this bid show/mean? Cuebid by passed hand after t/o double

#1 User is offline   cphastrup 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-18, 05:04

What do you expect from the 2 bid? Does it promise another bid? What is your bid now?

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-November-18, 05:28

I have no idea... it should show a maximum, and I'll guess that it shows both minors, since with hearts partner would probably bid them at some level. I'll take my chances and bid 4. Maybe even 4 and a half.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 07:21

A maximum pass with no clear direction, something like xx/Jxx/KQxx/KQxx.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2010-November-18, 09:50

Maximum passed hand with two places to play. I think I prefer one of those places to be hearts (only four pieces) making it 4H with another 4/5 suit.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-November-18, 10:16

View Postandy_h, on 2010-November-18, 09:50, said:

Maximum passed hand with two places to play. I think I prefer one of those places to be hearts (only four pieces) making it 4H with another 4/5 suit.

So how do you tell partner that you would like to play clubs if he has them, hearts otherwise? I guess 2NT asks?

How would you respond to double with a maximum 3145/3154? How about a 2155? (We'll assume you didn't have any openings devoted to this.)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2010-November-18, 10:50

View Postmgoetze, on 2010-November-18, 10:16, said:

So how do you tell partner that you would like to play clubs if he has them, hearts otherwise? I guess 2NT asks?

How would you respond to double with a maximum 3145/3154? How about a 2155? (We'll assume you didn't have any openings devoted to this.)

I actually don't play this myself but in terms of a practical point of view I think it's important to be able to distinguish if responder has 4 or 5H so you don't play in 3H on a 4-3 fit (this is just for passed hand) and thus it would make sense for 2NT to be the default asking bid. If responder has 31(54)/2155 then he can just bid his longest suit and live with it, but the more important question is what to do with (32)44 and I think I will resort to 1NT with those shapes as there is lots of bidding space to exchange more info. The trade off is worth it I think.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#7 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 13:24

It seems to me there are two questions: What does it show, and what do I do? The second seems easier. I bid 3S. Of course partner might not have the hoped for king of spades and ace of clubs, but he might. If he bids 4D instead of 3NT that surely denies hearts, and I guess I will bid 5C. With my hand and his cue I can't see stopping short of game and this appears to me to be the most likely path to the right contract. Of course 3NT might fail, but so might 5C. If, as might happen, he bids 4H over 3S I will happily pass.
Ken

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-November-18, 14:26

View Postcphastrup, on 2010-November-18, 05:04, said:

What do you expect from the 2 bid? Does it promise another bid? What is your bid now?
IMO partner has 9-11 HCP with a 2/3 suits, probably 2 minor suits. Such a cue normally promises another bid -- but not by a passed hand. Now, I guess 3 = 10, 5 = 9.

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 14:55

View Postandy_h, on 2010-November-18, 09:50, said:

I agree. Sometimes you have to double 1 with only 3 hearts so it could be a game force with any 2 suits but only 4 hearts.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 15:25

Values, but without 4-card hearts.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users