• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polish 2/1? Hybrid System

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-April-22, 09:45

What do you folks think about combining Polish Club 1, 1 and 2 openings with a modern 2/1 response structure to 1/1 (e.g. 1NT semiforcing, 2 bal. GF, GF with clubs or invitational with 3-support)? It seems to me you wouldn't even have the problems that Gazilli/Ritong are designed to solve.

If anyone wants to try this out, drop me a line on BBO. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-April-22, 11:01

Playing polish club with 2/1gf structure is the most standard way to play polish club in Poland :blink:
While you don't need Gazilli I find classical polish club 12-17 range a bit awkward to deal with in sequences when opener makes non forcing rebid (ex: 1D - 1S - 2C, 1S - 1NT - 2C etc.)

Maybe it's small difference but if you play gazilli you normaly have 17-21 in 2. You also put very good 16's there. In polish club this range is wider. It's the system I am most familiar with and given the choice I would much prefer to play either precision style (11-15openings) or "standard" 11-22 openings (with gazilli of course)

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-April-22, 11:36

bluecalm, on Apr 22 2010, 06:01 PM, said:

While you don't need Gazilli I find classical polish club 12-17 range a bit awkward to deal with in sequences when opener makes non forcing rebid (ex: 1D - 1S - 2C, 1S - 1NT - 2C etc.)

Well, I guess it depends what opener's reverse shows. In WJ05 opener's rebid of 3m promises at least 5-5. So with a maximum 5431 opener will need to rebid 2m and I guess this is where a lot of the awkwardness comes from.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-April-22, 11:40

maximum 5431 opener will need to rebid 2m and I guess this is where a lot of the awkwardness comes from.

Yes that's what I mean.
There are other problems like need for sound action of responder (because you are in danger of opener jumping to 3 of his suit, to 2NT or even to game, which he will do with most hand in 15-17range which are not suitable for 2m rebid) but I guess they are not on topic of this post.

#5 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-April-23, 02:21

I would still play Gazzilli, but with 15-17 hands...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#6 User is offline   Tomi2 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-April-23, 02:30

I play polish club with 2/1 and forcing NT and am happy about this. Also use Gazilli with most partners allowing 1M-1NT-3x to show 5-5 and beeing non forcing.

There are enough hands in polish club that open 1M and are GF ip partner finds a constructive bid, so having a way to show strength fast is still nice in Polish club.

Opener rebidding 2 clubs on 5332 after 1S-1NT also fits well into ploish bidding style to bid Clubs when no other bid is available => 2D/H shows 4+

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users