• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How would you rule? UI? Illegal?

#21 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-November-13, 13:48

A common (and effective, but not as effective as the people who want to play it think) agreement is to bid 1S over a strong 1C with "13 cards" or "wants to play somewhere at the 2 level" or "automatic". It isn't, of course; with the right hand they'll bid something else, and it's frequently hard to get them to explain what those circumstances are, but that's another story...

The ACBL disallows this under "agreements primarily designed to destroy opponent's methods" - other SOs regulate it with different rules (or don't, depending on their opinion of what is best). However, what can (and does in a small percentage of cases) happen in the ACBL is that they get called on it, have the regulations explained to them, and then still play it, but now they don't alert it (because it's illegal, and strong club players know this) and claim it's a psych if they get called on it. With the small number of Strong club players and the disinterest in Recording, they often get away with this for a long time.

I would not look for "fielded psychic", I would be looking for "concealed (illegal) partnership understanding". But I'm both cynical and a Precision player. If 1C strong - 1S psychic comes up at my table, it gets recorded, no matter how much I believe them.

Michael.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#22 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2006-November-13, 19:59

If this hand happened in ACBL land, this might be the hand to do the weighted score.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users