Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Claimreject

#1 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-February-10, 08:02

Im a playing TD and prefer fast clocked tours. Get much problems with bad players using time to get Ave. Often both players blame each other for rejecting. Therefore it would be nice with a popuplabel telling West accepts claim It would be nice if every hand could be logged. Say S plays 4H and E doubles.
6min10sec: S claims 4HX+2
6min15sec: W accepts claim, then tictac tictac, no reaction from E
7min: Time is out both pairs get 40%

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2006-February-10, 08:55

((((NOTE: Speaking for self, not the BBO)))))

I am not sure what knowing West accepted the claim while someone is waiting for EAST to accept will do, other than make the NS players make comments specificall about East along the lines of look dummy your parnter accepted.

The problem of stallers trying to get average minus instead of bottom is not limited to tourneys with playing directors. In fact this happens in all kinds of tourneys. this is one of many reasons why a non-playing director is important. Often playing directors will state, clearly, "No-ADJUSTMENTS" (my recollection is that is true in your events too). That is an open invitation for this kind of stalling tactic.

The real solution to this is to follow the rules of bridge and use a non-playing director. Then, when a claim is rejected (or not accepted in a timely fashion, which we will treat as the same thing), the director can come and rule on the contract. The director can then issue an adjusted score. In the main room, there is no director so if a claim is rejected, there is little option but to play the hand out. In tourneys online, like F2F, the director should step up and make a ruling.

There is a second problem here, fast tournaments cause more problems with boards not being finished. And Fast Individuals can be particularily troublesome. The reason is some people want to know what they are playing so they spend some of the early time each round discussing carding and bidding. Causing more time pressure.

Of course, a lot of players like these quick, no adjustment tourneys, and as long as the TD advertises them as such, they are good things to have. But I doubt very much your suggested software change will do anything at all to help with this problem.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   nickf 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2006-February-10, 15:19

WARNING - off topic opinionated piece to follow.

UdcaDenny said:

I'm a playing TD and prefer fast clocked tours.

I no longer play in tournaments where the Director is playing. I don't have a frequent need to call Directors but when I do, I expect one to be able to come to my table to adjudicate on UI or misinformation or whatever else may have come up.

Of course my favourite story is when I was playing the Director in the penultimate board and after a bidding misunderstanding he went 5 off in 3H and then adjusted the score to 3H making for us. After I objected he gave me an Ave- for the last board. What a clown.

nickf
sydney

#4 User is offline   emelnl 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:web(sites), bridge, music (active and passive), computers, wine

Posted 2006-February-20, 10:25

Seeing, as a (nonplaying) TD, which player did or didnt accept the claim looks to me a must have feature. Now ur only option is to ask, or to set some score.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users