BBO Discussion Forums: Impeachment Schmepeachment - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Impeachment Schmepeachment The Press and the Vocal Minority - Where is Reason?

#21 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-July-16, 01:35

Winston, you shouldn't multiply the 66% with 33%. That number makes no sense. You should take one or the other. Alternatively, you can divide 33/66 to get 50% which would tell us that 50% of Americans are Republican, assuming all pro-impeachers are Republican.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#22 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-16, 03:00

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-July-14, 22:45, said:

what would be the charges under which they envisage that Obama might be impeached?

There is a widespread fear that the abolishment of don't-ask-don't-tell will make relay systems legal.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-July-16, 09:48

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-July-15, 15:34, said:

My point - a quite small percentage of Americans are being given a quite loud voice by the media, etc.

Perhaps you would have done better to say that in the first place.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#24 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-16, 09:53

I thought that was don't-ask-only-tell?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#25 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-July-16, 10:37

View Postgwnn, on 2014-July-16, 01:35, said:

Winston, you shouldn't multiply the 66% with 33%. That number makes no sense. You should take one or the other. Alternatively, you can divide 33/66 to get 50% which would tell us that 50% of Americans are Republican, assuming all pro-impeachers are Republican.

thx

FWIW, my take was that the polling was flawed, and to simply report it as "news" without investigating the numbers is becoming too much the norm for media. If 2/3 of Republicans truly support impeachment, then (to me) the 1/3 of Americans is a deeply suspicious number. To come to a more reasonable number it might be best to think that reality is that only 22% of Republicans really support impeachment, and the other 11% that comprise the 1/3 of Americans represents independents and Democrats.

If we assume Dems and Republicans split roughly 50-50, then 2/3 of 50% would be still be 33%, meaning that only Republicans support impeachment.

I doubt this. However, math is not my strong suit, as is well demonstrated by these posts. :P
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#26 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-16, 12:39

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-July-15, 05:14, said:

Governing while black...

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-July-15, 06:24, said:

This would be the funniest post of the decade if it weren't for the fact that it is sadly all too true.

Honestly I think this is silly. The Rs also impeached the last D president for no good reason, and he was white. I see no need to trot out the race card.

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-July-15, 05:26, said:

Meaning: Whoever wants to impeach Obama will always find a charge.

This is more like it.

View Postkenberg, on 2014-July-15, 04:24, said:

My view in a nutshell: This is all silly. There is a reason Sara Palin is involved in it.

+1
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#27 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2014-July-16, 13:50

View Postbillw55, on 2014-July-16, 12:39, said:

Honestly I think this is silly. The Rs also impeached the last D president for no good reason, and he was white. I see no need to trot out the race card.

Bill Clinton actually made statements under oath. He really did have some sort of escapade with an intern.

If you don't recognize the racial bias inherent in the right wing's stances and actions, I fear your head is in the sand to some degree. It may not exactly be "governing while black" but it is most assuredly "governing while not fitting the right's image of a leader, a white dominant male".
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#28 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-16, 14:31

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-July-16, 13:50, said:

Bill Clinton actually made statements under oath. He really did have some sort of escapade with an intern.

If you don't recognize the racial bias inherent in the right wing's stances and actions, I fear your head is in the sand to some degree. It may not exactly be "governing while black" but it is most assuredly "governing while not fitting the right's image of a leader, a white dominant male".

I still think you are tilting at windmills. Being a D who does not dance to the Rs tune is more than enough reason by itself. I just don't see any reason to think that race is a factor here.
-gwnn

#29 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-July-16, 14:40

View Postbillw55, on 2014-July-16, 14:31, said:

I still think you are tilting at windmills. Being a D who does not dance to the Rs tune is more than enough reason by itself. I just don't see any reason to think that race is a factor here.

Consider it an additonal factor if not a primary factor. The R's would probably be trying to impeach any democrat unless for some reason he was doing what they wanted to be done.

#30 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-July-16, 18:12

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-July-16, 13:50, said:

I don't speak for "the right", but my image of a leader is someone who leads, and white, black, green, or purple, Obama does not fit that image.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#31 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-July-17, 07:30

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-July-16, 18:12, said:

I don't speak for "the right", but my image of a leader is someone who leads, and white, black, green, or purple, Obama does not fit that image.

Couple quick observations:

1. Obama's first term had an enormous number of legislative accomplishments. You might not approve of what was done, but its ridiculous to accuse him of not leading

2. Over the past four years, the administration's ability to pass legislation has been crippled by the highly Gerrymandered House of Representatives. Obama has tried to compensate for a completely dysfunctional House by using executive action. (The end result of which is all this talk of impeachment and lawsuits by the House)

In any case, I know that your unable to process political thought unless there is a Heinlein quote involved.
I have one for you:

Well, we shoot mad dogs, don't we?

I'm not directly called you a mad dog.
Nor am I advocating that you be shot.

I am saying that at a certain point, it makes sense to cut your losses.

From the perspective of a organized, civilized society, I don't see much reason why we should care what some nut job Libertarian has to say about "leadership", the "government", whatever. Far easier to just leave you sitting alone off in the wilderness, living off your government provided pension and government provided health care, screaming about how you're being oppressed.
Alderaan delenda est

#32 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-17, 08:33

Obama has tried to compensate for a completely dysfunctional House by using executive action.

I wonder how far this logic may be carried before you think it is too far.
-gwnn

#33 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-July-17, 08:56

View Postbillw55, on 2014-July-17, 08:33, said:

I wonder how far this logic may be carried before you think it is too far.

According to Wikipedia, the number of executive orders issued by each president from FDR to the present is as follows:

Franklin D. Roosevelt 3,522 6071 - 9537
Harry S. Truman 907 9538 - 10431
Dwight D. Eisenhower 484 10432 - 10913
John F. Kennedy 214 10914 - 11127
Lyndon B. Johnson 325 11128 - 11451
Richard Nixon 346 11452 - 11797
Gerald R. Ford 169 11798 - 11966
Jimmy Carter 320 11967 - 12286
Ronald Reagan 381 12287 - 12667
George H. W. Bush 166 12668 - 12833
William J. Clinton 364 12834 - 13197
George W. Bush 291 13198 - 13488
Barack Obama 180 13489 - 13668

So, while Barack Obama has had to compensate for the inaction of this dysfunctional Congress by issuing Executive Orders, it still appears that he has issued fewer executive orders in his 6 years in office than all of the presidents from 1933 to the present except for Gerald Ford, who served 2 years in office, and George H. W. Bush, who served 4 years in office. In fact, he has issued about one-half as many executive orders as Richard Nixon did in his 6 years in office.

Seems like he has not gone far enough.

#34 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-17, 09:17

There are some people who think government's job is to organize us into an efficient gang to beat up on all the other gangs and take their stuff. With the beating up part optional if there is some other way of taking their stuff.

If that's your vision of America or American government - as the most badass gang of robbers - then of course you're not going to be happy with Obama.

Some of these people (not all) think "us" means white (male) Americans. For these people, it is obvious that no black person could lead a white gang when part of the purpose of the white gang is to beat up black people.

#35 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-17, 09:38

Thanks for the data Art, that is interesting.

I wasn't implying that Obama has gone too far. I was considering a more general question.

For that question, the number of executive orders by itself is not necessarily a good indication. A president may just have (or have not) an inclination to use this tool for minor matters, or in ways that are entirely within their legal authority. On the other hand, if such orders circumvent constitutional checks and balances, then something is wrong. I don't claim to know if this is the case for any particular president, including the current one. I just think that brushing aside congress by executive order - if indeed that happens - is something to pay attention to.
-gwnn

#36 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-July-17, 09:44

The primary purpose of executive orders is to implement existing laws, not to circumvent Congress. There are many laws on the books that require implementation but Congress has avoided providing necessary funding or other action needed to implement them. Most of the executive orders issued by Obama do just that. I am sure there are some that skirt the issues in order to accomplish goals which would be better served by Congressional action. But up to a certain point that is the prerogative of the President.

#37 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-July-17, 10:01

I think the theory behind looking at summary statistics like that is that there's a baseline of routine executive orders that all Presidents will need to issue, and on top of that there will be a number of diescretionary orders that are done to circumvent Congress, and that significant differences in the number of XO's are presumably due mostly to the latter.

#38 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-July-17, 10:39

View Postbarmar, on 2014-July-17, 10:01, said:

I think the theory behind looking at summary statistics like that is that there's a baseline of routine executive orders that all Presidents will need to issue, and on top of that there will be a number of diescretionary orders that are done to circumvent Congress, and that significant differences in the number of XO's are presumably due mostly to the latter.

Also, there is a lot of misinformation being spewed forth from various sources stating that the number of executive orders issued by President Obama is MUCH higher than the facts would indicate. One source claims that Obama has issued 923 executive orders.

#39 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-17, 12:12

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-July-16, 18:12, said:

I don't think that a president is supposed to lead. He is supposed to preside.

Our beloved leader, Kim Jong Un - now he is supposed to lead.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#40 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2014-July-17, 12:40

View Postbillw55, on 2014-July-17, 09:38, said:

A president may just have (or have not) an inclination to use this tool for minor matters, or in ways that are entirely within their legal authority. On the other hand, if such orders circumvent constitutional checks and balances, then something is wrong. I don't claim to know if this is the case for any particular president, including the current one. I just think that brushing aside congress by executive order - if indeed that happens - is something to pay attention to.

It would be difficult, if not impossible for an executive order to circumvent checks and balances as Congress can always pass a law to counteract the executive order while the Supreme Court can find a particular executive order unconstitutional and thus illegal.

But a president has the right to execute orders to the executive branch, meaning almost all federal employees, and with George Bush it seems that providing an in-house executive branch attorney's opinion is enough justification for a president to operate outside the boundaries of checks and balances.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users