Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do the possible bids mean ?

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-May-24, 11:02

So now what do the bids mean, and particularly what is 4 ?

This is culled from a BW thread and I thought it was interesting to see what people thought, it is by no means certain that 4 would be bid, and I might avoid it precisely because I wasn't sure about what came next.

Having answered, this is the actual S hand, what do you do ?

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-May-24, 13:58

very good hand to post. 4 say to me slam interest, suit and support. You are more than minimum so I would bid 4 here, accept invitation. Await partner's next bid. Partner may be void in and have wasted values. I do not like the suit and me playing hand as South. Bidding 4 instead of 4 is not telling truth to partner though.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-May-24, 14:53

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-May-24, 13:58, said:

very good hand to post. 4 say to me slam interest, suit and support. You are more than minimum so I would bid 4 here, accept invitation. Await partner's next bid. Partner may be void in and have wasted values. I do not like the suit and me playing hand as South. Bidding 4 instead of 4 is not telling truth to partner though.

Does 4 have to have spades ? what do you do with 8 decent diamonds and a card or two ? do you have to bid more diamonds than that first time ?

#4 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-May-24, 14:55

I wasn't sure whether 4 showed support or was just natural given it was'nt a fit jump. 4 may then show support which leaves a rebid or 4NT if that is natural.

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-24, 15:23

To me:
4S = extra spade length
4nt = natural (meta-agreement with partners, if 4nt can make sense as natural, it is)
5c = 5+ clubs
4H = you forced me, I don't know what to do, suggest something. (at least initially).

#6 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-24, 15:50

To me 4 is either diamonds+spades, or such a big diamond that we are rebidding diamonds. 5 directly would have been weaker. We assume spades for this round (if not partner will correct), so:
4 last train, extras, does not promise or deny a heart stopper.
4 minimum.
4NT RKC for spades, promises a heart stopper.
5 probably just crazy, should be a club control and diamond support but two (or more) heart losers.

Having seen the hand, 4 looks fine to me.

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-25, 03:17

I think 4 could be based on diamonds only or both minors, although those hands will often double. But I think you have to avoid double with hands that are unsuitable for defence. So I don't think that 4 promises spade support.

As for opener's bids now:
4 would ostensibly be choice of game, and secondarily some slam try, maybe specifically with diamonds support. The a slam try in spades could bid 4NT directly.
4 would show extra length.
4NT would be nice to have as a natural bid and quite possibly it should be. RKC for spades, or just a general try for 4, is an alternative. Although the given hand would really like to bid a natural 4NT I think this is infrequent.
5 I would take as natural, but probably it is better to play it as a a slam try in diamonds, then 4 would promise a flexible hand (or a slam try in spades, maybe, if direct 4NT is natural).

With this hand I bid 4, if partner can show a doubleton spades I am happy with 4.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-25, 09:50

I play that double asks partner to bid three no trump with a stop (thrump): this is also the only way to force with a minor or minors.

3 is a simple raise and three no trump is to play.

4/4 are cue bids with slam interest in spades.

4 is a good 4 bid.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-May-25, 10:39

View Postpaulg, on 2022-May-25, 09:50, said:

I play that double asks partner to bid three no trump with a stop (thrump): this is also the only way to force with a minor or minors.

3 is a simple raise and three no trump is to play.

4/4 are cue bids with slam interest in spades.

4 is a good 4 bid.

What do you do with something like a BW death hand ? 6 or 7 nearly solid diamonds, 3 spades to an honour and another card ? x-p-3N-p-4 or bury the diamonds ?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users