BBO Discussion Forums: How often does people screen refresh? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How often does people screen refresh?

#1 User is offline   palmergnaw 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-January-16, 18:26

Hi all,

The people screen does not seem to refresh very often. I see friends as logged in but they are logged out. I don't see friends even though they have logged in. I'm not referring to friends who have set their status to invisible.

Thanks much!
Paul

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-17, 12:23

The other possibility is friends having moved to the Casual server (or you having moved to the Casual server). The lists of "who's online" are separate (for now) between the two. If you're looking to set up a "main bridge club" table (or are at one), this will likely be the issue.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   cfrush 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-January-18, 04:49

View Postmycroft, on 2021-January-17, 12:23, said:

The other possibility is friends having moved to the Casual server (or you having moved to the Casual server). The lists of "who's online" are separate (for now) between the two. If you're looking to set up a "main bridge club" table (or are at one), this will likely be the issue.

I am having a lot of trouble with issues related to missing names on the people lists, and what seems to be long time intervals between updates. unless I leave and come back. Today I had several friends greet me, even though they did not show on my "people" list.
( I asked them if they were in the "casual" section, and got no answer. I don't know if they could see my chat to them. )

I could find that these people were on, using "Search" and if I got their profile up on my screen, I could chat to them, and also see that they were listed as 'friends'.

The current situation is basically unworkable, and requires way too many key clicks. Could we haave an indicator on the profile that tells whether they are "competitive" or "casual", (If we simply MUST have two sections on different servers? )

A related problem is that it is quite difficult to see if I am listed as "BRB" That "BRB" state is 'stickky' and persists between logins. (But I don't get information about that "BRB" state unless I go check, so I think I have spent quite a bit of time appearing to others that I am in a "BRB" state, when I didn't mean to be.

I much oreferred the way that the downloadable Windows client
BBO software handled this detail. The windows client version also had a much better way of handling "friends". It somehow spanned both "Casual" and "Competitive" sections, and showed that people are friends right in the name box.

I find that it is a lot harder to identify who has recently logged in, and isn't already busy, so that I can invite them to play in a tournament, using V3. I estimate that this process now takes at least three times as long, and requires way more keyclicks, and many more declined invitations, because the person being invited is already busy.

Thanks for sorking to make all of this work better. :)

#4 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-February-07, 16:28

View Postmycroft, on 2021-January-17, 12:23, said:

Has this been fixed now?

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-February-17, 13:05

View Post0 carbon, on 2021-February-07, 16:28, said:

Has this been fixed now?

No. We're probably not going to fix it, but hopefully we'll eventually be able to increase the main server capacity so we don't need two servers. Disabling V1 and V2 were the first steps in that path, but it's still complicated.

#6 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-March-05, 20:29

Many displays - Tables, Tourneys, Friends - don't update as things change underneath. You can force update by leaving the list display, eg, go from People to Messages to People.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users