BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#16941 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-November-12, 15:53

View Postshyams, on 2020-November-12, 12:39, said:

May I point out that Trump will behave unlike any other ex-President?

The tradition is that an ex-Pres will rarely (almost never) comment on the current President's policies or decisions. This will most certainly not apply to Trump; I would expect him to give a running commentary in the form of endless tweets ridiculing every decision or policy of the new administration.

Unless he is found culpable in some criminal misconduct, he would also see himself as the next Grover Cleveland (two discrete terms in office).

I'm afraid this thread is not going anywhere any time soon. There is still 8 more years of life left in it :blink: :(

The only important thing to know is that the ex Manchurian President has absolutely zero authority to influence the federal government. Instead of being the sociopath and whackjob president who can screw up people's lives, he will be the sociopath and whackjob private (and hopefully imprisoned) citizen who has no more influence than the sociopaths and whackjobs on Fox Propaganda Channel. or other ultra right fringe outlets.

View Postshyams, on 2020-November-12, 12:39, said:

Unless he is found culpable in some criminal misconduct, he would also see himself as the next Grover Cleveland (two discrete terms in office).

In 2024, he may be the 1st major candidate to run for president while still in prison B-)

#16942 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2020-November-12, 22:22

Trump said that if he lost the election to Joe Biden he might have to leave the country. Personally, I don't care where he washes ashore as long as his stench doesn't desecrate Arlington National Cemetery.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#16943 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-13, 04:15

China has acknowledged that Joe Biden won the US election, leaving Russia the only major power still on the fence

Putin is the only major world leader still holding out hope for the Manchurian President. Not that it makes any difference. I fully expect that a Biden Administration will impose crippling sanctions on Russia for the actions in sabotaging Clinton's campaign in 2016, and the Russian bots and Hunter Biden propaganda in 2020, in addition to other anti-social actions they have undertaken worldwide for the past 4 years. It's time for Russia to pay the piper.

#16944 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-13, 06:31

View Postjohnu, on 2020-November-13, 04:15, said:

Putin is the only major world leader still holding out hope for the Manchurian President.

Did Brazil, Mexico, Slovenia and PRK congratulate the President-elect then?
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#16945 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2020-November-13, 08:10

Trump is finishing his term with an absolutely clear demonstration of who he is . It's time for everyone to say No. Trump is Trump, so he gets a team of lawyers who will do whatever they can for Trump, to hell with anyone else. That's Trump, always has been, always will be. That's Trump. Time to say No. Time for everyone to say No.
It's really exactly that simple.
Ken

#16946 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-November-13, 08:49

View Postkenberg, on 2020-November-13, 08:10, said:

Trump is finishing his term with an absolutely clear demonstration of who he is . It's time for everyone to say No. Trump is Trump, so he gets a team of lawyers who will do whatever they can for Trump, to hell with anyone else. That's Trump, always has been, always will be. That's Trump. Time to say No. Time for everyone to say No.

The time to say no was back in 2016. Today we are suffering consequences of our actions back then. That should be on our minds going forward.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#16947 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2020-November-13, 10:50

We will all see this in our own way.
Ken

#16948 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2020-November-13, 11:03

View Postkenberg, on 2020-November-13, 08:10, said:

Bridge players all love saying No Trump! :P

Happy New Year everyone!

#16949 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-November-13, 11:08

The bottom line about Donald Trump:

There is no grand strategy at play, according to interviews with a half-dozen advisers and people close to the president. Trump is simply trying to survive from one news cycle to the next, seeing how far he can push his case against his defeat and ensure the continued support of his Republican base.

By dominating the story of his exit from the White House, he hopes to keep his millions of supporters energized and engaged for whatever comes next.

my emphasis

As the consummate grifter, Trump knows how to keep suckers distracted while he picks their pockets.

#16950 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-November-13, 11:54

I found a new job for Stephen Miller:

#16951 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-November-13, 12:38

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-November-13, 11:03, said:

Bridge players all love saying No Trump! :P

Hamman's law of politics ?

#16952 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-13, 18:23

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-November-13, 06:31, said:

Did Brazil, Mexico, Slovenia and PRK congratulate the President-elect then?

I explicitly said "major world leaders", and the author of the article referred to "major world powers". Brazil actually is my favorite vacation spot, but it's economy has been in the toilet for a number of years and even the Brazilians I know would not say that Brazil is one of the world powers.

If I had said the Putin was the only leader of a country that had was still holding out hope for Trump, you would have had some kind of point. Since that's not what I said, you have nothing.

#16953 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2020-November-13, 18:34

I guess it depends what you mean by "major". Brazil has the world's 8th largest economy by PPP GDP while Russia is 6th while nominal GDP is 12th versus 11th. If major means for you specifically the top 6-7 (PPP) or top 11 (nominal) then your point holds. For everyone else, if you are including Russia then you should normally also include Brazil.

Happy New Year everyone!

#16954 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-13, 18:48

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-November-13, 18:34, said:

I guess it depends what you mean by "major". Brazil has the world's 8th largest economy by PPP GDP while Russia is 6th while nominal GDP is 12th versus 11th. If major means for you specifically the top 6-7 (PPP) or top 11 (nominal) then your point holds. For everyone else, if you are including Russia then you should normally also include Brazil.

I think when you have a few thousand nukes you count as a major world power no matter what the state of your economy is.

#16955 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-13, 19:46

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-November-13, 18:34, said:

One place to start is the G7, as well as the strongest military powers in the world. Even if Russia had the 50th biggest economy, it is still the most disruptive country in the world and America's biggest threat in the world.

Brazil is still a developing country (used to be considered a 3rd world country when that designation was still used). With the Brazilian real in dropping almost 50% in value during 2020, and the economy in trouble even before Covid, it will be interesting to see where their economy ends up by the end of the year.

#16956 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2020-November-13, 20:05

View Postjohnu, on 2020-November-13, 19:46, said:

One place to start is the G7, as well as the strongest military powers in the world. Even if Russia had the 50th biggest economy, it is still the most disruptive country in the world and America's biggest threat in the world.

Oh, right, now I get it. "Major" refers to how big of a threat a country represents to America. Got it. How silly of me not to have thought of that.

Happy New Year everyone!

#16957 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-14, 14:11

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-November-13, 20:05, said:

Oh, right, now I get it. "Major" refers to how big of a threat a country represents to America. Got it. How silly of me not to have thought of that.

You certainly think you are being clever. Since I must not know anything about world politics, maybe you can explain how the G7 countries are among the biggest threats to the US. I will be waiting for your enlightened reply.

And as far as Russia being a big threat to the US, Russia is a big threat to many other countries, including many in Europe, e.g Ukraine. As to whether other countries consider Russia to be their biggest threat, have you heard of NATO???

#16958 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2020-November-14, 15:44

View Postjohnu, on 2020-November-14, 14:11, said:

You certainly think you are being clever. Since I must not know anything about world politics, maybe you can explain how the G7 countries are among the biggest threats to the US. I will be waiting for your enlightened reply.

And as far as Russia being a big threat to the US, Russia is a big threat to many other countries, including many in Europe, e.g Ukraine. As to whether other countries consider Russia to be their biggest threat, have you heard of NATO???

No, no, I agree with you completely. If you judge how "major" a world leader is according to their threat level to the US then Putin, Kim and Rouhani are clearly more important world leaders than Merkel or Johnson. :blink:

Happy New Year everyone!

#16959 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-14, 17:40

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-November-14, 15:44, said:

No, no, I agree with you completely. If you judge how "major" a world leader is according to their threat level to the US then Putin, Kim and Rouhani are clearly more important world leaders than Merkel or Johnson. :blink:

Your obtuseness is almost Trumpian. Putin is clearly more of a threat to Europe than the US since Russia doesn't need nukes to invade them. Look up Ukraine and Crimea if you still can't figure that out. Kim Jong-un is more of a threat to (especially) South Korea, Japan, SEA, and even China until he develops longer range missiles. Iran is more of a regional threat as long as it doesn't have operational nuclear missiles.

Feel free to continue misreading my comments in your efforts to embarrass yourself.

#16960 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2020-November-14, 17:51

View Postjohnu, on 2020-November-14, 17:40, said:

Feel free to continue misreading my comments in your efforts to embarrass yourself.

The only embarrassment I see here is someone seriously equating the phrase "major world leader" with how dangerous the country is for the USA and spending 3 posts on backing that up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy New Year everyone!

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

61 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 61 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google